Green Beans with Almonds
Green beans with almonds is a healthy green beans side dish that you can make year round for family dinners, or for special holiday meals by adding seasonal ingredients. With the addition of cranberries you can serve it for Thanksgiving. Swapping cranberries with pomegranate seeds will make this dish perfect for your Christmas feast.
By: Garden Lady
I bet you will love this simple yet elegant green beans with almond recipe.
A note before we dive in – be creative and feel free to swap sliced almonds with shelled pumpkin seeds in the recipe, or cranberries with pomegranate seeds – experiment with what tastes best to you and surprise your family and guests.
If you do not have fresh green beans from your garden – get organic packaged fresh green beans from your grocery store.
GREEN BEANS with ALMONDS RECIPE
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 10 min
Tired of buying expensive fresh thyme in the grocery store?
✅ Get Garden Lady’s free Herbs eBook today and start growing your own culinary herbs.
Step by Step Instructions
- Wash green beans and trim the ends.
- Add ¼ cup of water and green beans to a pot, cover with a lid, quickly bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook beans covered with the lid for 6 minutes.
Don’t be alarmed that the beans are not covered with water in the pot. Cooking them in the small amount of water with the lid tightly closed will steam green beans which will result in crisp texture.
3. When time is up, all water should evaporate, but if you see any water left, then drain the beans. Stir 1 tablespoon of butter and 1/4 tsp of salt to the cooked green beans in the pot and give it a swirl to melt the butter.
At this point your green beans are delicious on their own and can be served as a side dish. Look how pretty they are!
But we will enhance them with additional ingredients and make this green beans with almonds dish holiday-worthy.
So, let’s continue!
- Fry onions cut in half rings in 1 tablespoon of butter with thyme on high heat for 1 minute.
- Lower heat to medium high , add 1 more tablespoon of butter and sliced almonds and cook one minute more till almonds start to brown.
- Add smoked paprika and dried cranberries and continue cooking for 1 minute longer, stirring constantly.
- Add cooked green beans to the skillet. Stir well.
- Move onto platter and serve.
Though this green beans side dish tastes the best fresh, it can be made a day ahead and reheated, or shall I say – refried on the skillet.
Congrats! You just mastered a perfect green beans with almonds dish good for everyday or holiday cooking.
Pin for later reference!
What is your favorite green beans recipe? Share in the comments.
And if you found this article useful – be so kind to share with friends.
You have read: