Steamed Brussels Sprouts with Shredded Wheat and Pomegranate Seeds
Steamed Brussels sprouts with a delicious twist.
By: Garden Lady
Tired of the same old steamed Brussels sprouts dish?
Why not try something new?
This simple Brussels sprouts recipe will win over even the harshest Brussels sprouts critic. And for sure this attractive and tasty side dish will brighten up your family dinners or holiday table.
To put an unusual spin on plain steamed Brussels sprouts you will need just 2 ingredients – shredded wheat, and fresh pomegranate seeds.
1. Long strands shredded wheat cereal like Barbara’s shredded wheat or Post shredded wheat (original big biscuit) work the best for this recipe, but oftentimes they are hard to find in a grocery store, though available online.
2. You can swap fresh pomegranate seeds with 2 tablespoons of dried cranberries.
BRUSSEL SPROUTS with SHREDDED WHEAT and POMEGRANATE SEEDS RECIPE
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 10 min
- 1 pound of fresh Brussels sprouts
- 2 oz of whole wheat shredded wheat, crushed
- 5 tablespoons of fresh pomegranate seeds
- 1.5 oz (3 tablespoons) of butter
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 reaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs of thyme – leaves removed from stems
1 pound of Brussels sprouts
Bite-size shredded wheat.
Step by Step Instructions
1. Prepare your Brussels sprouts: give them a rinse, trim the ends. If the size of your Brussels sprouts vary – cut the large ones in half, leave the small ones whole.
3. Add ½ cup of water, ¼ tsp of salt and the Brussels sprouts into a pot. Cover with a lid, bring to a boil on high heat, reduce the heat to medium – medium high and cook 6 minutes till water evaporates. If there is any water left over after 6 minutes, drain it.
4. In a skillet melt 2 tablespoons of butter, and fry Brussels sprouts with thyme for 1-2 minutes for sprouts to develop nutty flavor. Season with pepper and extra salt if needed.
5. Add 1 more tablespoon of butter, shredded wheat and mix well.
6. Combine with pomegranate seeds and move onto serving platter.
Can I use frozen Brussels sprouts for this recipe?
You can use frozen Brussels sprouts for this recipe. Prepare them according to the package instructions, drain, combine in a pot with butter and shredded wheat while sprouts are still hot, place them in a serving dish, and top with the pomegranate seeds. No need to fry them.
Making this dish from frozen sprouts will result in moist texture that is well suited for a hearty cold season meal. Making this dish from fresh sprouts – results in a bright crisp texture. Both versions are delicious, yet taste different.
Can Brussels sprouts be cooked ahead?
Yes, they can.
If you want to make the dish ahead – you can cook Brussels sprouts and refrigerate them up to 2 days, then before serving follow steps 3-5 from the step by step instructions.
Do not add shredded wheat ahead, because the dish will turn out mushy and wheat becomes soggy.
Final thought on Steamed Brussels Sprouts recipe
And there you have it – the easiest and tastiest way to prepare Brussels sprouts as a healthy side dish.
It pairs perfectly with mashed potatoes for everyday meals or for Holidays. You can use cranberries instead of pomegranate seeds in this recipe for your Thanksgiving feast. But for good luck on the Christmas or New Year table, pomegranate seeds will be just right.
Mashed potatoes, chicken with gravy and steamed Brussels sprouts.
Pin for later reference!
You have read: