Last Updated on August 20, 2022
Quick and easy spring salad recipe made with fresh ingredients picked from your garden.
This spring salad recipe is suitable for a vegetarian or keto diet.
All ingredients (radish, green onions, hard-boiled eggs, cheese, and sour cream) are keto friendly.
What is the first crop that you are getting from your garden in early spring?
After foraging in my small garden, I usually return to the house with green onions, radishes, sorrel, and young lettuce leaves.
A fresh aroma permeates the house and after giving my harvest a quick wash, I am ready to prepare my first spring lunch of the year made from ingredients picked from my garden.
On the menu today are sorrel soup (read the recipe here) and a spring salad.
*This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to purchase any of the products I have recommended, I may receive a commission at no cost to you. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.
|Ready In||15 Min|
|Good For||Lunch Or Dinner|
|Used As||Side Dish|
Step by Step Instructions
- Wash and slice radishes and green onions. Place in a large bowl.
2. Dice hard-boiled eggs. Add to the bowl.
3. Add shredded cheese (you can use Parmesan or mozzarella shredded cheese for a keto recipe or shredded vegetarian Italian style hard cheese for a vegetarian salad).
4. Season with salt and add sour cream.
5. Mix all ingredients together.
Your salad is ready!
Spring salad variations and serving suggestions
- On a slice of freshly baked bread place a few young leaves of lettuce and top with a spring salad. Serve with sorrel soup.
- Later in the season you can add sliced young cucumber and dill to the spring salad and serve it on toast with arugula.
- If you do not bake your own bread, you can cut a few rounds of pita bread, brush one side with olive oil and broil for 1 minute. Then place some young lettuce leaves on the pita and top it with a spring salad.
- The spring salad also can be served as a side dish. It goes good with smoked lean pork loin or turkey breast, baked potato and sausage, mashed potato, buckwheat kasha, or grits.
- It can be placed as a dish in a salad bowl on the table for friends and family gatherings
- You can omit eggs and sour cream and add olive oil and black pepper instead. In this instance, add just 1 tablespoon of coarsely shredded Parmesan to the salad.
Additional notes on product and tools used in the recipe
1. I do not know about you, but I like radishes that have a mild taste and aren’t woody. With some trial and error, I finally was able to find a suitable radish variety that is not hot, yet crisp. It is the French Breakfast radish. They are organic and super tasty! Days to maturation – 25. Alternatively, you can grow Daikon (Japanese radish with a mild crisp taste that should be planted in late summer-early autumn) – to make “spring salad” in fall.
2. To dice the boiled egg quickly and in unified pieces, I use an egg cutter.
The video below shows how you can slice a boiled egg and cut it into long strips. I turn the egg 1 more time to dice it. Though it is not intended by the manufacturer, I also use my egg cutter to dice boiled potatoes and boiled carrots for my potato salad. Saves time.
Related reading: – Check out more fresh garden recipes.
What do you prepare for your first spring garden harvest? Share in the comments.
And if you found this article useful – be so kind as to share it with friends.