Best Cordless Snow Shovel (2021 reviews)
Choose the best cordless snow shovel for quick and easy snow removal.
Shoveling snow every day during the peak winter season can be very challenging and painstaking. Luckily, there are plenty of advanced tools on the market that help with snow removal, and an electric cordless snow shovel is one of them.
If you are curious or in a hurry:
✅The Best Cordless Snow Shovel
- cordless, lightweight, and quiet; makes snow removal easy
- cuts path in snow 13“ wide X 6” deep
- throws snow up to 20 feet
- 22 minutes battery run time
- 400 W motor moves up to 1,620 lbs. of snow per charge
- 2-year warranty
IN THIS POST
- What is a cordless snow shovel and who should own it?
- 3 best cordless snow shovel reviews:
- Snow Joe iOn 24V – SS13 cordless snow shovel – most reliable and affordable.
- Earthwise 74016 battery operated electric snow shovel – most powerful, with widest swath.
- Greenworks 2600702 12 inch 40V cordless power snow shovel – best for tight spaces.
- Advantages of cordless snow shovels in comparison with other snow removal tools
- Battery operated snow shovel drawbacks
- Before you buy a cordless snow shovel: what to pay attention to?
- Types of electric snow shovels
- Cordless snow shovel: is it a snow thrower or snow blower?
- Battery operated snow shovel alternatives
- Are electric snow shovels worth it?
What is a cordless snow shovel? Who should use it? And why?
An electric cordless snow shovel (also called battery powered snow shovel, battery operated snow shovel, or cordless power shovel) is the ideal tool for snow removal if you own a property up to 1/2 acre.
It will clear snow up to 6-8 inches deep from paved surfaces: patios, decks, sidewalks, steps, and driveways.
A cordless electric snow shovel can get rid of snow in tight spaces where gas powered snow blowers will not fit.
It’s easy to use and maintenance free – no gas, no oil, no mess, no tangled power cords.
And no more bending required! Just simply push the machine as you walk, and a rotating blade will pick up snow from the surface and throw it through a chute. As a result, you’ll be done with snow clearing in no time!
3 best cordless snow shovels reviews
3 top battery operated snow shovels for 2021 are:
- Snow Joe iOn 24V – SS13 cordless snow shovel – most reliable and consistent performer. Because it’s lightweight, budget friendly, and has a 13” clearing path (not too narrow and not too wide), this tool fits the needs of the majority of small yard owners.
- Earthwise 74016 battery powered electric snow shovel – most powerful and efficient, will clear a path 16 inches wide and 8 inches deep in one move. If your area gets a lot of snow – this machine is your best bet!
- Greenworks 2600702 12 inch 40V cordless power snow shovel is ideal if you live in areas with occasional snowfall. It’s great for tight spaces, and really small properties.
Latest models of cordless snow shovels come with more powerful motors, long lasting batteries, and ergonomic design.
Let’s take a closer look at the top battery powered snow shovels for 2021, so you can make a well-informed purchasing decision.
- clearing width: 13”
- snow depth: 6”
- snow throwing distance: 20 feet
- rechargeable battery: 24V, 4 Ah
- battery run time: up to 25 minutes
- motor: 400W
- weight: 13.5 pounds
- for use on paved surfaces only
- warranty: 2 years
- user’s manual
- comes with durable lithium ion rechargeable battery and a charger
- the scraper blade, located at the base of the unit, allows you to clear snow right to the ground without damaging your driveway or patio
- its 2-blade, high-impact, and low-temperature paddle auger can easily throw snow up to 20 feet away and cut a 13 inch wide and 6 inch deep path in one go
- lightweight and portable ergonomic design
- easy to maneuver
- can be used only on paved surfaces
- can only throw snow in one direction
- gets stuck often if snow is deeper than 8 inches
- limited run time
- bulky, doesn’t fold for easy storage
Verdict: When it comes to clearing snow, no other product can take care of your needs as well as Snow Joe 24V-SS13. This ultimate grab and go best cordless snow shovel 2021 combines functionality and innovation to deliver a convenient, easy, cordless solution to clean snow out of your way.
Watch this 2 minute YouTube video made by the manufacturer to see Snow Joe cord free power shovel in action.
- clearing width: 16 inches
- clearing depth: 8 inches
- snow throwing distance: up to 32 feet
- battery: 40V, 4.0 Ah Lithium-ion Max
- battery run time: 25-40 minutes
- battery charging time: 2.5 hours
- motor: brushless
- clearing capacity: 30 pounds/minute
- speed: 2000 RPM
- weight: 17.6 pounds
- warranty: 2 years
- user’s manual
- quiet and reliable brushless motor
- cuts the widest swath (16″) in comparison with other cordless snow shovels
- comes with 4Ah Earthwise battery and a charger
- moves 300 pounds of snow per minute
- ergonomic design
- convenient 180-degree rotating helps you collect and throw snow in your preferred direction. The chute is easy to adjust by hand without needing any special tool
- 6 inch rear wheels make it easy to move the shovel around
- dual blades auger picks up snow easily
- intended to work on snow up to 8 inches deep, but users report that it will do well in larger depths if you take off snow in layers multiple times.
- not an ideal option for wet snow
- some users had trouble putting the machine together before first use.
Verdict: Earthwise 74016 snow shovel is well made, earth-friendly, quiet, with the widest cutting path, and most powerful. It delivers consistent snow clearing performance.
See how Earthwise cordless snow shovel works in this YouTube video made by the American Lawn Mower.
- clearing width: 12”
- clearing depth: 6”
- snow throwing distance: 20 feet
- rechargeable battery: 40V lithium max, 4 Ah
- battery run time: up to 30 minutes
- motor: brushless
- weight: 18.5 pounds
- warranty: 2 year for tool & 3 years for the battery
- starts instantly with hassle free push button
- brushless motor delivers more torque, quiet operation, and longer life
the chute can be adjusted to different angles and distance
- the battery is interchangeable with all Greenworks 40V G-MAX tools
- comes with the battery and charger
- it’s narrow and doesn’t take much storage space in the garage
- doesn’t handle deep snow very well
- it feels quite heavy after prolonged use.
Verdict: because of its narrow clearing width, Greenworks cordless snow shovel is the best snow removal solution for small and tight spaces.
Why choose a cordless electric snow shovel?
A cordless snow shovel is one of the most useful tools for clearing snow from your small property.
Some of the biggest benefits of using a battery-powered snow shovel are:
in comparison with manual snow shovel
- saves your time
- saves your back from hard work
in comparison with corded electric snow shovel
- safer, no tangled power cord laying in wet snow
- easier to maneuver
in comparison with gas powered snow blowers
- no need to buy fuel
- no harmful fumes
- more eco-friendly
- affordable price
- easy to reach tight areas
- easy to maintain and store when not in use.
Drawbacks Of Using Cordless Snow Shovel
Despite their numerous benefits, battery-powered snow shovels are not the most ideal tool for every property owner. Let’s list some of their main disadvantages:
- most of the models are not as powerful as the manufacturers claim
- they will work well on paved surfaces only
- some cordless snow shovels can be difficult to direct
- battery-powered snow throwers are not an ideal choice for people with tight storage space in their garage
- they are difficult to use on a daily basis during winter time for people with mobility issues.
Is there a difference between an electric snow blower and snow thrower?
Powered snow shovel, snow thrower, snow blower, oh my! 😊
Very often people use these 3 terms interchangeably.
But they are not the same.
Let’s learn the basic difference.
According to Snowblowersatjacks
A “snow thrower” is a single stage snow removal machine (which means that snow is thrown in one single movement) that picks up the snow with the help of an auger and throws it out the chute.
A “snow blower” refers to a two stage snow removal machine. The auger scoops up the snow (first stage) and feeds it to the impeller which blows the snow (second stage) out the chute. It called “blower” because the impeller operates like a very powerful fan that throws snow at large distance (up to 50 feet)
Blowers are more powerful than throwers.
Electric snow shovels have an auger, but don’t have an impeller, so power snow shovels can be called electric snow throwers, not cordless snow blowers.
Types of Snow Power Shovels
There are 2 types of electric snow shovels: corded and cordless. Each of them have their benefits and drawbacks and are better suited for a particular situation
A corded electric snow shovel can be a great option if your yard is really small, because your working area is limited by the length of electric cord. The benefits of a corded snow shovel is no need to rely on the battery which can run out of charge before you clear your yard from snow.
Cordless electric snow shovels work on rechargeable batteries.They are more convenient to use, but your working time is limited by battery run time. Though if you get a second battery, the problem is solved!
Both types of electric snow shovels are snow throwers and best suited for light duty work and shouldn’t be used for deep, heavy snow.
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Cordless Snow Shovel
Buying the best battery powered snow shovel is not an easy task There are certain factors, features, and parameters that every potential buyer must consider before making a final choice.
Let’s discuss some of the things to know before investing your money in a battery-operated snow shovel.
Clearing width is determined by the width of the intake chute. Most likely you will want the cordless snow shovel with the widest chute possible in order to clear snow in the least amount of passes. Chute width ranges from 10 to 16 inches in most electric snow shovels.
You should pay attention to intake chute depth when buying an electric snow shovel because this metric will determine the depth of snow you can clear. Usual chute depth ranges from 4 till 8 inches. So, if your area is gets deep snow, you should go for a deeper chute.
Check out whether the cordless snow shovel you want to buy has one or two blades. Double-bladed models pick up more snow and let you finish your snow clearing job faster.
A good-quality snow shovel should be lightweight, because it must be pushed along the surface to clear snow. The heavier the snow shovel is, the more upper body strength is required to operate it.
Most of the lithium-ion batteries available on the market give your cordless snow shovel a runtime of 20-30 minutes per charge. Products that feature 40V batteries can work longer in comparison with 24V batteries. You can double your run time by investing in a second battery.
Ergonomics and ease of use
Check out if the handle is adjustable, so you can use the cordless snow shovel comfortably. Some models have a hoop on the shovel’s handle that makes pushing easier.
Alternative ways to remove snow
Best battery-powered snow shovels are lightweight, maneuverable, cost-effective, and quiet option for homeowners with small property.
But if you have different needs, you should check alternative products for snow clearing task:
- Manual snow shovel
- Rolling snow shovel/pusher
- Snow plow (it can come as stand alone tool or as an attachment for a garden cart)
- Snow thrower
- Snow blower (gas powered or electric)
- Leaf blower
- Seed spreader (fill it up with a salt mix to spread on your driveway or sidewalk to melt snow away)
- Sidewalk ice scraper
Best two wheel wheelbarrows and garden carts.
Best backpack leaf blowers
Are electric snow shovels any good?
Battery-powered snow shovels are a decent option when you have to clear snow not more than 6-8 inches deep on a paved surface.
Since these models are lightweight, you can use them for cleaning both driveways and walkways alongside patios and decks where gas-powered models do not fit.
These tools are available in various sizes and can easily accommodate your needs.
Related reading on yard and garden tools:
Learn more about the best gardening tools and products
Pin for later reference!
Final thoughts on best cordless snow shovel
There you go! These are the 3 best cordless snow shovels in 2021.
Your time is the most valuable asset, so the least time you spend on shoveling snow, the more time you have for doing things you love. An electric cordless snow shovel will help you save time on snow clearing chores for sure!
All top picks in battery powered snow shovels are lightweight, have plenty of battery run time, show amazing performance for clearing small spaces from snow easily, and are readily available for an affordable price (compared to snow blowers). So, don’t hesitate, go and grab the best cordless snow shovel to suit your needs.
You have read: